Thursday, May 12, 2005

Who am I, Moveable Type?

A friend writes in Anonymity "I daresay that anonymous bloggers have other reasons for keeping their identities to themselves."

Now, if only I can figure out how to post pictures to my blog, perhaps I'll identify myself to the blogosphere, but for now we'll hide behind the email address, which is explicit enough, and the blogspot veil. Putting out a decent post each day, much less creating an attractive setting to post in, is just a bit more work than most people might realize. The technical burden alone for novices is fairly tall, especially for the geek types like myself who want to focus on the HTML instead of the content.

I've become fond of opening links in new windows, a nice touch I think since it keeps the original page in place. However, I notice when I write a comment with "target=" inside an "href=" on a Moveable Type blog the "target=" phrase is striped out by Moveable Type. When you look at the Moveable Type preview source code the "href=" phrases don't have the "target=", it's just gone. Anybody have a clue how to overcome this? The eBlog engine here swallows my "target=" phrases just fine and they work putting up a new window with the link.

2 comments:

R J Keefe said...

Wow! How great to find you here! How long has this been going on?

MovableType does not, apparently, accept a lot of tag variables in comments. At least my version doesn't - there's a new one that I've not quite dared to advance to.

Bienvenue!

Popeye said...

Well, we'll see, perhaps I'm using the wrong syntax. We'll try target="_blank" instead of target="Sometext" where Sometext is just a title displayed in a new window. I maybe wrong but I think <a href="URL" target=" [Sometext,_blank] "> AnchorText </a> is the syntax. But, you are correct to characterize the situation as not accepting or ignoring rather than striping out, an important conceptual difference.

How's that for verbose, eh?

Or, as they would say here in Tuckassee, 'It don't work Bubba, move on.' Or, even more succintly as would be said across the river from you, 'Forgetaboutit!

In any event eBlog accepts the target= variable in an anchor tag. But, eBlog does not accept <p> nor <br>, because line breaks are taken from CRLF's in the comments composition window, how about that.