Saturday, November 12, 2005

Re: Southern Girls

Recently, I had some correspondence with a friend about GRITS, she is from Huntsville,Texas and I am from Red Hill, Texas.

Charlotte,


A clean copy with a bit more material can be found at


G.R.I.T.S. - Girls Raised In The South

All of the entry is good, but if you just want the text scroll down to

I have a friend from Bawston, bless her heart, who thinks it's hilarious when I say I've got to "carry" my daughter to the doctor or "cut off" the light. She also gets a giggle every time I am "fixin" to do something. And, bless their hearts, they don't even know where "over yonder" is, or what "I reckon" means! My personal favorite was my aunt, saying, "Bless her heart, she can't help being ugly, but she could've stayed home."

Southern girls know bad manners when they see them:
a. Drinking straight out of a can.
...

and go on from there. As you may or may not be aware this is also the title of an exellent book

Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life (Illustrated)
By Deborah Ford, Edie Hand
Hardcover / 224 Pages / E P Dutton / April 2003 / 0525947264

Thanks for reminding me of a wonderful text that's been passed around the net for quite awhile and the book, which I really do need right now for another question.

I don't think of myself as being from the South do you? I don't find much in common with the Southerners, people who constantly remind you that they are from the South, from AL, MS, GA, SC, AR, VA. I do find a good deal of resonance with people from rural backgrounds or from families where the immediate parents are from rural backgrounds. I think of myself as being from East Texas, The Big Thicket, Texas, but not a typical TEXAN not the loud JR from Dallas type, perhaps more Billy Bob Thorton is my style. As I learned to say in South Texas where I lived for over a decade,

Yo soy un Tejano gringo puro, y yo soy un viejo vacquero tambien, verdad

I am a pure Texas gringo and an old cowboy as well now, ain't that so.

Keep'em coming in Charlotte. You got any fat back so I can make beans tomorrow. Just a bit, if you've got it, please. I've looked the beans and changed the soak water once, tomorrow morning I'll change the water again, throw out the floaters and start them to boiling. You comin' for navies, cold sliced purple onions, chow-chow, bacon and corn bread tomorrow for dinner. And, you know dinner will be after church in the middle of the day don't you now. Supper, the meal closer to sun down than noon, is often skipped on Sundays since dinner is usually big and always after church, generally around two or three, eh? But, lately I've heard people refer to this same meal as Sunday supper and that distresses me, since if they invite me for Sunday supper this time of year I probably won't show up until five or six in the evening.



On 11/12/05, Bioniclady
Subject: Southern girls

> > Southern girls appreciate their natural assets:
> >
> > Clean skin
> >
> > A winning smile
> >
> > That unforgettable Southern drawl
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know their manners:
> >
> > "Yes, ma'am."
> >
> > "No, sir."
> >
> > "Thank you darlin."
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls have a distinct way with fond expressions:
> >
> > "Y'all come back!"
> >
> > "Well, bless your heart."
> >
> > "How's your Mama?"
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know their summer weather report:
> >
> > Hazy


> >
> > Hot
> >
> > Humid
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know their vacation spots:
> >
> > Hilton Head beach
> >
> > Daytona beach
> >
> > Panama City beach
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know the joys of summer:
> >
> > Golden tans
> >
> > Flip-flops in every color


> >
> > Strapless sun dresses
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know everybody's first name:
> >
> > Honey
> >
> > Darlin'
> >
> > Sugar ("Shugah")
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know the movies that speak to their hearts:
> >
> > Fried Green Tomatoes
> >
> > Driving Miss Daisy
> >
> > Steel Magnolias
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know their religions:
> >
> > Baptist
> >
> > Methodist
> >
> > Football
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know their country breakfasts:
> >
> > Red-eye gravy with country ham
> >
> > Grits
> >
> > Homemade biscuits with mama's homemade jelly
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know their cities dripping with Southern charm:
> >
> > Charleston (Chawl'stn)
> >
> > Savannah (S'vanah)


> >
> > Atlanta (Adlanna)
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know their elegant gentlemen:
> >
> > Men in uniform
> >
> > Men in tuxedos
> >
> > Rhett Butler, of course!
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know their prime real estate:
> >
> > The Mall
> >
> > The Country Club
> >
> > The Beauty Salon
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know the three deadly sins:
> >


> > Having bad manners
> >
> > Cooking bad food
> >
> > Wearing too much makeup in the summer
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Southern girls know men may come and go, but friends are fo'evah!
> >
> > Now, darlin', send this to some GRITS (Girls Raised In The South)
> >
> > or ones who wish they had been!
> >
> >
> >
> > If you're a Northern transplant, bless your heart, honey, fake it.
> >
> > We know you got here as fast as you could.



--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.12.8/163 - Release Date: 11/8/2005


--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.12.8/163 - Release Date: 11/8/2005


--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.12.8/163





--
George
www.qualityofthelight.blogspot.com

No comments: